Access to and use of ‘www.rmg.co.uk’ and content provided on these pages is provided by the National Maritime Museum (NMM) on the following terms:
- By using www.rmg.co.uk you agree to be bound by these terms, which shall take effect immediately on your first use of www.rmg.co.uk. If you do not agree to be bound by all of the following terms please do not access, use and/or contribute to www.rmg.co.uk.
- The NMM may change these terms from time to time and so you should check these terms regularly. Your continued use of www.rmg.co.uk will be deemed acceptance of the updated or amended terms.
- If there is any conflict between these terms and specific local terms appearing elsewhere on www.rmg.co.uk then the latter shall prevail.
Please see also Cutty Sark's terms and conditions of use.
We encourage you to use www.rmg.co.uk to extend your knowledge of the Museum and its topics. Subject to certain limitations, there is no copyright infringement by ‘fair dealing’, which includes use of www.rmg.co.uk content for one of the following purposes:
- private study
- non-commercial research
- inclusion of content in thesis produced by students who are attending an educational establishment
- criticism and review (and news reporting)
- downloading content and storing a copy on a temporary basis for the sole purpose of viewing such content without alteration or addition.
Where the NMM has the right to do so, and where indicated, it has also made its collection records and images available for non commercial reuse under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) licence. This licence requires any adaptations of NMM collections works to be re-licensed under the same licence terms.
The NMM has developed an Application Programming Interface (API) to make it easy for individuals and organisations to share its collection records and images with the public. If you need to download more than 25 images at a time, you are encouraged to use the API.
- Collection images must always credit ‘National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London’ and link to the original collection record on the NMM collections website.
- Some collection images have a more restricted licence than CC BY-NC-SA, which you must comply with. Please see our full API documentation for advice on how to exclude such images.
- Do not make an unreasonable number of API calls or compromise the experience of other users. As a guide, you should make no more than 3000 calls per day and no more than one request per second. We may place more formal limits on the API in the future.
- The maximum allowed enlargement of images is 1200 pixels along the longest length of the image. Do note that these images are made available for non-commercial use only.
- Please contact the Picture Library if you would like to use the NMM’s collection records under different conditions.
The NMM invites you to contribute to parts of the www.rmg.co.uk website, by sharing tags and feedback and creating your own collections. By making a contribution to the collections website, you grant to the NMM a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty-free licence to use the material under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-Non-Commercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA) licence. The NMM reserves the right to share your contributions via its API and to remove any contributions it deems unsuitable.
If you find our content useful, you are welcome to link directly to it.
Please contact the Picture Library if you would like to use the NMM’s collection records under different conditions.
Unauthorized attempts to deny service, upload information, change information or to attempt to access non-public data from this service are strictly prohibited and may be punishable to the full extent of the law of England and Wales.
The National Maritime Museum respects the privacy of every individual who visits our website. We operate in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Please see our full privacy statement.
The www.rmg.co.uk website and its content are provided on an ‘as is’ and ‘as available’ basis. To the extent permitted by law, the NMM excludes all representations and warranties (whether express or implied by law), including the implied warranties of satisfactory quality, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, compatibility, security and accuracy.
While we try to ensure that all content is correct at the time of publication, no responsibility is accepted by the NMM for any errors, omissions or inaccurate content on the website.
The content of the website is subject to change without notice. If you cite the website as a reference, we recommend that you include the URL and the date you accessed it.
Every effort has been made to contact the copyright holders of materials included on this website. If you consider materials to be your copyright and have not been contacted by the National Maritime Museum, please contact us.
On occasion, the NMM will link to external websites for further information or comment. We are not responsible for the content or reliability of external websites, even when we link to them.
The NMM does not warrant that www.rmg.co.uk will be uninterrupted or error-free, or that the website or the servers that make it available are free of viruses or bugs. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to implement sufficient procedures and virus checks (including anti-virus and other security checks) on your personal computer to satisfy your particular requirements.
The National Maritime Museum shall not be liable for any losses or damages whatsoever, whether in contract, Tort (including negligence) or otherwise, arising from the content or the website.
The National Maritime Museum, for the purposes of this notice, shall include its departments, employees, partners, principals, agents and representatives and any third-party providers or source of information or data.