Our remote scanning service is provided by Library and Archive staff at the National Maritime Museum's Caird Library. Readers may order up to 100 digital images from our collections per calendar month.
Ordering digital images
To order digital images you need to create an account on the Library & Archive request system, Aeon, then find the item you wish to order a copy of from the Archive or Library online catalogues and click on ‘View this item in the Library’ or ‘Order’ button. Each item ordered will be processed and charged as a separate transaction, although we can combine delivery charges.
- Rare printed books, pamphlets, journals, periodicals (pre-1850)
- Manuscript collection items, including Masters’ Certificates, Crew Agreements and Lloyd’s Survey Reports
- Frequently used reference material – e.g. Lloyd’s Register, Lloyd’s List, Navy List, Merchant Navy List, Illustrated London News, Naval Chronicle
- Charts and maps (no larger than 60 x 40 cm or 23 ½ x 15 ½ inches)
- Multiple fold-out plates from books
- We are unable to offer images of any item that is bigger than 60 x 40 cm (23 ½ x 15 ½ inches), when fully opened if a bound volume, as it will not fit on the scanner bed.
How many scans/copies can I order?
- Orders between one and 50 scans per month: provided as a secure electronic file to download.
- Orders of 51 to 100 scans per month: provided as a secure electronic file to download.
Prints and drawings are unavailable via this service, if you wish to order these contact our Picture Library.