If you have any questions that aren’t covered here please get in touch on ROGschools@rmg.co.uk.
When do you run outreach sessions?
What sessions do you offer?
Primary Session: Science Theatre Show (KS1 and KS2)
Ted's Moon Adventure (KS1) - this science theatre show looks at what the Moon is really like and how we would need to prepare for a trip to the Moon. Led by an astronomer, this 35 minute interactive show follows Ted the Bear as we pack for the Moon, journey there and explore features on its surface. Ted's Moon Adventure is linked to the KS1 curriculum and explores concepts like humans and their basic survival needs, while introducing students to space and the Moon through questions, observations and simple tests.
Mysterious Moons (KS2) - this science theatre show looks at the different moons you might find if you went adventuring in the solar system and which ones might be a good place to find life. This 45 minute show is presented by one of our astronomers and has buckets of demonstrations and games sprinkled throughout. Mysterious Moons is linked to the KS2 curriculum and explores the concepts of the planets, moons, environments and life.
The Great Space Adventure Theatre Show (KS2) - this science theatre show is an interactive astronomer-led show, action-packed and full of demonstrations. Throughout our science theatre shows we often ask for volunteers to come and help us out with the demonstrations. The Great Space Adventure is a 45 minute show linked to the KS2 science curriculum and explores the Sun, Earth, Moon system as well as our solar system and an exoplanet in a differnt star system.
Secondary Session: A Question of Space Show
A Question of Space (KS3, KS4 and Post-16) - this is a key stage linked, interactive quiz using digital keypads with a sprinkling of demonstrations to help us explain different physics concepts through astronomical concepts. This 45 minute session can be delivered to KS3, KS4 or Post-16 audiences as there are different versions for each. We recommend not mixing key stages if possible enabling us to deliver the key stage appropriate version of the session.
How many sessions can you run in one day?
How do I timetable the sessions?
|SESSION NUMBER||START TIME||END TIME|
Sessions take 30 minutes to set up and take down and the astronomers need at least 15 minutes between sessions to re-set any equipment. If you are planning on using a school hall that needs to also be used for lunch please do let us know in advance as this will need to be factored into the timetabling.
If you would like us to run two shows for lower primary and two for upper it is greatly appreciated if we can timetable them together so we only need to swap from one show to another once.
Who are our presenters?
Are our presenters DBS checked?
How many presenters will come to the visit?
Will you require lunch?
Do you need us to supply anything?
We travel light and other than supplying your staff and students we don’t need very much more. Please see our list of requirements below:
- Delivery Space – the space provided can have a huge impact on the experience. If you have a school hall we can use that is perfect. Whenever possible please provide a space that is separated from any other activity going on in the school so the presenter does not have to compete with anything else.
- Equipment and Facilities – please be sure you can supply a table, access to wifi, a projector and a screen. If you cannot please notify us when you book. It takes around 30 minutes to set up and we would need access to the space before the students are allowed access. If you have a member of staff who is familiar with your technology set up it is always greatly appreciated if they can be there when we arrive to show us how things in your school work – every school is different.
Do teachers have to stay with the students?
Are you insured?
How far will you travel?
How much does a visit cost?
I want to book, what now?
- Booking request form – this tells us everything we need to know so be sure to fill that out first. You will also need to send us a copy of your public liability certificate at this stage.
- The details – when we receive your booking form we will check the date is available and look through the details of what you have requested.
- Confirmation – if you are happy with everything we will take payment then send you a confirmation pack.