Join an astronomer for a special show featuring the New Crescent Moon and the history of studying it.
Join a Royal Observatory Greenwich Astronomer for a special online planetarium show to see the sky at the time of the Prophet Muhammad’s birth and how to sight the new crescent moon ahead of the Islamic lunar calendar month Rabi Al-Thani.
We will journey back in time to Makkah and view the night sky at the time of the Prophet Muhammad’s birth. We’ll then explore the constellations and showcase the huge contribution of Muslims to our modern understanding of astronomy. The New Crescent Society’s Imad Ahmed will also be on hand to guide you through how to sight the upcoming new crescent moon, and how Muslim astronomers have attempted to date the Prophet Muhammad’s birth using the stars.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
- This is a free planetarium show. Please keep the confirmation email so you can join the sessions easily.
- If children are participating, we advise that adults offer support during the session.
- Numbers are limited to the event and we ask that you book a place in advance so that we can plan for the correct numbers. If you book and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can offer it to another visitor.
- Sessions will be held on Zoom. This application is not affiliated with the museum, we have staff monitoring every session and will eject participants presenting any inappropriate behaviours. We advise that you take the time to read the terms and conditions on Zoom's website for your own information and safety.
How do I join a live online session?
- Follow the link to book your place via Zoom webinar
- Once you have booked your ticket, you will receive an email confirming your place on your chosen Live Online Workshop. Open the email, the email will contain a link and password to the prescheduled workshop.
- When it is time for your scheduled event click the link on your email. This will take you to your chosen event which is being hosted through an application called ZOOM. You will be asked for your meeting I.D and Password. These should come up automatically but if not they can be found on your original email.
- Please use an appropriate username (e.g. first name) for the Zoom session.
- Your computer audio and video will be disconnected for the entirety of the session. If you wish to communicate with the host or ask questions, then please directly ask the host in the Q&A function.
- If you sign in before the workshops begins you will be asked to wait in a virtual waiting room.
- Please note that you are in a session with many other participants, please be considerate of others when asking questions.
- These sessions are monitored at all times. Any behaviour deemed to be inappropriate will result in participants being removed from the session and being reported to the appropriate authorities where necessary.
- We support independent learning for children but we hold the safety and well-being of children in higher regard. Therefore we ask that an adult is present when children are partaking.
- Your host will inform you when the session is finished. When you have finished your session close your tab and sign out of zoom if you signed in at the beginning.