Join us from the comfort of your own home as we go behind the scenes of Royal Museums Greenwich and pull out some of the rare and treasured maps, charts and globes in our collection.
Our Behind the Scenes live online tour series has been specially designed to gain an insight of the treasures of the collection with a weekly interactive online tour of the stores at the Prince Philip Maritime Collections Centre.
On this personal and exclusive experience, we will explore the hidden treasures of the collection and come face to face with the objects personal stories presented by our specialist team of curators and learning facilitators.
In this series we focus on our extensive collection of maps, charts and globes. Join Royal Museums Greenwich’s Curator of Cartography Dr Megan Barford and Collections Learning Manager Mat Cahill, as they delve into the collection to select their favourite objects in relation to a weekly theme.
Behind the Scenes live online tours
8 October - Maps for learning
15 October - Maps for display
22 October - Maps and space
29 October - Animals on maps
5 November - Maps and the sea
These interactive online tours have been designed for you see the treasures of the collection from the comfort of your home. Every week Megan and Mat will guide you around the stores in our amazing collection centre in Kidbrooke.
Booking an online tour
- This tour is offered on a pay what you wish basis, but numbers are limited so please book in advance.
- If you book and are unable to take part, please let us know so we can offer your place to someone else.
How do I join a Live Online tour?
1. Book your place on to the tour
2. Once you have booked your ticket, you will receive an email confirming your place on your chosen live online tour. On the day of the tour you will receive an email that contains a link and password to the prescheduled tour.
3. When it is time for your scheduled event, click the link on your email. This will take you to your chosen event which is being hosted through an application called Zoom. You will be asked for your meeting ID and Password. These should come up automatically, but if not they can be found on your original email.
4. Once you’re in the workshop, you will be asked to choose to connect audio in three different ways. We recommend using computer audio.
5. If you sign in before the workshop begins you will be asked to wait in a virtual waiting room.
6. When the workshop begins you can choose to have your video on or off. We will only interact with participants who have their camera on. If you do not want to be interacted with please switch off your camera.
7. When the session starts, have your camera pointing at eye level and your microphone on mute. You can control your microphone and video on the bottom of the Zoom page.
8. Feel free to ask our expert questions through the Q&A function on the Zoom application.
9. There is a chat room attached to the workshop room. Please use this for technical questions such as my audio is not working etc. Our host will assist you as best as they can.
10. If you are planning to keep your video on please be mindful of what’s behind you. Think about having a solid wall behind you or turning on the virtual background if you would like some privacy.
11. These sessions are monitored at all times. Any behavior deemed to be inappropriate will result in participants being removed from the session and being reported to the appropriate authorities where necessary.