Learn about of the exploration of the Polar Worlds from the time of Franklin to today, and how these icy landscapes are represented to, and imagined by, the rest of the world.
This year's Winter lecture will explore our fascination with the Polar regions, and how they are imagined by those who have never visited them. We'll also look at fictional representations of Franklin's expedition, and how we can talk about a experience where we're unsure about what really happened to Franklin and his crew.
To discuss this topic we'll be joined by a panel of speakers, including:
- Paul Ready, actor in forthcoming television series, The Terror
- Michael Smith, author and journalist specialising in the history of polar exploration
- Soo Hugh, executive producer for the forthcoming television series, The Terror
- Rosie Stancer, British explorer and polar adventurer
- Annie Symons, AMC costume designer for the forthcoming television series, The Terror
- Dr Gabrielle Walker, former Climate Change Editor at Nature and Features Editor at New Scientist
- Dr Claire Warrior, Royal Museums Greenwich Senior Exhibitions Interpretation Curator