Stay home, stay safe and hone your skills in this online drawing class hosted by Royal Museums Greenwich and Rise Art.
Sound and Vision is a virtual drawing class where participants are invited to creatively respond to the collections of Rise Art and Royal Museums Greenwich whilst listening to a specially compiled soundtrack.
These workshops have been designed to use the vast Royal Museums Greenwich collection to entertain, engage, inspire and connect people.
All participants are welcome to join, no matter your artistic ability. All you will need is a drawing implement of your choice and some paper as your hosts guide you through the collection, soundtracked by a wide range of music from jazz to electronica to world music.
In collaboration with curators from Rise Art, you will see the Royal Museums Greenwich collection in a way that will inspire and engage you.
This virtual drawing class offers escapism, reflection and investigation through weekly themes connected to the collections.
This free workshop is hosted through Zoom.
- This workshop is free, but numbers are limited. Make sure you book a place in advance so that we can plan for the correct numbers. If you book and are unable to take part, please let us know so we can offer your place to someone else.
- No experience necessary—beginners and experts alike are welcome.
- This session has been designed for adults during lockdown but children over 13 years old are welcome. Please note that some of the collection and discussions address sensitive topics.
- Sessions will be held via Zoom. This application is not affiliated with the museum. We have staff monitoring every session and will eject participants behaving inappropriately. We advise that you take the time to read the terms and conditions on Zooms website for your own information and safety.
- Sessions will run whilst Royal Museums Greenwich is closed to the public.
How do I join a live online workshop?
- Follow the link to book your place via Eventbrite.
- Once you have booked your ticket, you will receive an email confirming your place on your chosen live online workshop. The email will contain a link and password to the prescheduled workshop.
- When it is time for your scheduled event, click the link on your email. This will take you to your chosen event which is being hosted through an application called Zoom. You will be asked for your meeting ID and Password. These should come up automatically, but if not they can be found on your original email.
- Once you’re in the workshop, you will be asked to choose to connect audio in three different ways. We recommend using computer audio.
- If you sign in before the workshop begins you will be asked to wait in a virtual waiting room.
- When the workshop begins you can choose to have your video on or off. We will only interact with participants who have their camera on. If you do not want to be interacted with please switch off your camera.
- When the session starts, have your camera pointing at eye level and your microphone on mute. You can control your microphone and video on the bottom of the Zoom page.
- The facilitator will ask questions and if you would like to answer a question, the host will unmute your microphone for you to talk directly to them. Please note that you are in a session with many other participants, so be considerate of others.
- There is a chat room attached to the workshop room. Please use this for technical questions such as my audio is not working etc. Our host will assist you as best as they can.
- If you are planning to keep your video on please be mindful of what’s behind you. Think about having a solid wall behind you or turning on the virtual background if you would like some privacy.
- These sessions are monitored at all times. Any behaviour deemed to be inappropriate will result in participants being removed from the session and being reported to the appropriate authorities where necessary.
- We support independent learning for children but we hold the safety and well-being of children in higher regard. Therefore we ask that an adult is present when children are partaking.
- Extra activities may be suggested at the end of the session. Links for additional tasks will be put in the chat room for further learning.
- Your host will inform you when the session is finished. When you have finished, close your tab and sign out of Zoom if you signed in at the beginning.