Join our Chinese Community show to hear an astronomer of the Royal Observatory Greenwich explore topics in ancient and modern Chinese astronomy, including the Sun, Moon, stars and space exploration.
The study of the heavens has a long history in China dating back thousands of years. In this session, the astronomer will explore the links between the Chinese calendar and the motion of the Sun, Moon and stars. They will also talk about the phases of the Moon and how they relate to traditional festivals still celebrated by Chinese people today.
The astronomer will compare various modern-day constellations with the asterisms of the ancient Chinese sky and the legendary stories behind them.
And no show on Chinese astronomy would be complete without a discussion of the latest achievements of the nation’s space program, from the soft landing on the far side of the Moon to the mission to Mars.
While this show will be delivered in English, make sure to take a look at our Bilingual Families planetarium shows that are delivered in a variety of languages.
Please note: This is a ticketed show held on Zoom Webinar. One ticket is required per device.
How to book and join our sessions
- This is a virtual planetarium show and talk held over Zoom Webinar. Please keep the confirmation email so you can join the sessions easily.
- If children are participating, we advise that adults offer support during the session.
- Numbers are limited to the event and we ask that you book a place in advance so that we can plan for the correct numbers. If you book and are unable to attend, please let us know so we can offer it to another visitor.
- Sessions will be held on Zoom. This application is not affiliated with the museum, we have staff monitoring every session and will eject participants presenting any inappropriate behaviours. We advise that you take the time to read the terms and conditions on Zoom's website for your own information and safety.
- Book your tickets using the "Book Now" button above.
- Once you have booked your ticket, you will receive an email confirming your place on your chosen session. Open the email, the email will contain a link and password to the prescheduled session.
- When it is time for your scheduled event click the link on your email. This will take you to your chosen event which is being hosted through an application called ZOOM. You will be asked for your meeting I.D and Password. These should come up automatically but if not they can be found on your original email.
- Please use an appropriate username (e.g. first name) for the Zoom session.
- Your computer audio and video will be disconnected for the entirety of the session. If you wish to communicate with the host or ask questions, then please directly ask the host in the Q&A function.
- If you sign in before the workshops begins you will be asked to wait in a virtual waiting room.
- Please note that you are in a session with many other participants, please be considerate of others when asking questions.
- These sessions are monitored at all times. Any behaviour deemed to be inappropriate will result in participants being removed from the session and being reported to the appropriate authorities where necessary.
- We support independent learning for children but we hold the safety and well-being of children in higher regard. Therefore we ask that an adult is present when children are partaking.
- Your host will inform you when the session is finished. When you have finished your session close your tab and sign out of zoom if you signed in at the beginning.