The Caird Archive and Library holds a fantastic range of resources for finding out more about maritime history. Material includes manuscripts, books, charts and maps dating back to the 15th century and comprising the most extensive maritime archive in the world.
The collection can be used to research maritime history and exploration, the history of the Merchant Navy and the Royal Navy and much more, including astronomy and timekeeping. Many of the resources we hold are useful for family historians, including large collections of Master’s Certificates dating back to 1845 and Merchant Navy Crew Lists back to the 1860s.
- Archive catalogue | Library catalogue | Caird Library blog | Item of the Month
- Order items to view in the library | Aeon help
Find out more via one of the sections below.
- The Library is open Monday to Friday, 10.00–16.45 (until 19.45 on Thursday), and 10.00–13.00 and 14.00–16.45 on Saturday.
- Contact details for enquiries regarding the Archive and Library, chart and map collections.
- The Museum has produced over 70 research guides covering the Museum's collections and other sources for research into maritime history.