The Travel Trade team here at Royal Museums Greenwich want to ensure you get the most out of your visit.
Tours of the National Maritime Museum, the Queen's House, Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory are available. We offer guided tours at £10 per person with a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 20 per group. If you would like to organise a guided tour let us know your requirements and we will accommodate the request. Contact us to help plan and book a tour with one of our guides: email@example.com.
Royal Museums Greenwich also welcomes groups accompanied by registered Blue Badge Guides. We offer complimentary entry to registered Blue Badge and Greenwich guides when accompanying a group.
Delving into the Archive at the Caird Library
The Caird Library and Archive at the National Maritime Museum is the world’s largest maritime archive and is home to a vast collection of rare and unique books, manuscripts, atlases, maps and charts.
Delve into the archive in this exclusive behind the scenes experience for groups that looks at the fascinating stories behind the objects on display. A member of the Museums Library and Archive staff will give you a unique insight into rarely seen maritime and astronomy books and manuscripts.
Specially selected items on display include:
a letter written by Nelson in his left hand, soon after the loss of his right arm in the failed attack on Tenerife in the summer of 1797
the controversial 1712 publication Historiae Coelestis which is a catalogue of stars based on the observations of John Flamsteed, the first Astronomer Royal at the Royal Observatory
3 other rare and unique items selected by the archive team will be on display and their stories explained.
Mondays from 10.30am, last booking at 3.30pm
Sessions last 45 mins
For groups of between 8-15 maximum
Group rate is £10 per person.
To make the most of your time with us, we are here to help you plan. Here are some sample itineraries.
Option 1 – Prime Meridian, Royal Observatory and Cutty Sark tour (3.5 hours)
- arrive at Charlton Way (SE10 9QY) near the Blackheath Gate to Greenwich Royal Park and the Royal Observatory
- visitors walk to the Royal Observatory for spectacular views of London and photo opportunity, which is the perfect way to start their day. Allow enough time for your group to arrive on time at the groups entrance (15 mins)
- tour of the Royal Observatory and allow for time to explore the Meridian Line and the stars, space and time souvenir shop (70 mins)
- visitors walk down the hill through beautiful Greenwich Royal Park and the World Heritage Site to Cutty Sark (15 mins)
We recommend breaking the walk with lunch in The Brasserie at the National Maritime Museum overlooking the Royal Park. Or alternatively, enjoy lunch at the Even Keel Café under the gleaming copper hull of the Cutty Sark. (50 mins depending on group size).
- tour of Cutty Sark and allow for time to explore the ship and the Cutty Sark souvenir shop (60 mins)
- pick-up point on Stockwell Street (SE10 9JN), outside Ibis Hotel. Group departs
Option 2 – The Greenwich Day Trip (6 hours)
- group arrives and drops at Stockwell Street (SE10 9JN), outside Ibis Hotel
- early access and tour of Cutty Sark with welcome morning refreshments under the ship (90 minutes)
- The National Maritime Museum (and the Queen’s House when it reopens), enjoy a guided tour, or some free time to explore these attractions (80 mins)
- group lunch at The Brasserie at the National Maritime Museum (1 hour)
- visitors walk 400 metres from the National Maritime Museum up the hill through Greenwich Royal Park to the Royal Observatory (15 mins)
- tour of the historic Royal Observatory and Astronomy Centre allowing for your group’s photos with the Meridian Line and time to browse the gift the stars, space and time souvenir shop (1.5 hours)
- visitors depart and walk to pick-up point at Charlton Way (SE10 9QY) near the Blackheath Gate to Greenwich Park and Royal Observatory Greenwich (20mins)
All visitor attractions are closed 24-26 December.