Readers may order up to 100 digital images from our collections per calendar month.
Orders are dispatched as a digital file accessed via an online storage software as pdfs. Orders over 100 scans are provided in sets of 100 per month. For example, if the order is calculated at 150 scans, we will provide 100 scans in total in one calendar month, and 50 scans the following month.
Due to the current Coronavirus situation and travel restrictions, we are experiencing a high volume of requests for scans (copies). Please do keep this in mind when you place your order. We aim to dispatch orders within 20 business days.
Ordering digital images
To order digital images first create an account on the Library & Archive request system, Aeon, then find the item you wish to order a copy of from the Archive or Library online catalogues and click on ‘View this item in the Library’ or ‘Order’ button. Each item ordered will be processed and charged as a separate transaction, although we can combine delivery charges.
Your order will be dispatched within 20 working days of us receiving payment. Large scanning orders may take longer to process and we will notify you if this is the case. We regret that we cannot provide this as an on-demand, day of visit service for readers in the Caird Library.
We offer research-quality digital images of the following:
- Rare printed books, pamphlets, journals, periodicals (pre-1850)
- Manuscript collection items, including Masters’ Certificates, Crew Agreements and Lloyd’s Survey Reports
- Frequently used reference material – e.g. Lloyd’s Register, Lloyd’s List, Navy List, Merchant Navy List, Illustrated London News, Naval Chronicle
- Charts and maps (no larger than 60 x 40 cm or 23 ½ x 15 ½ inches)
- Multiple fold-out plates from books
- We are unable to offer images of any item that is bigger than 60 x 40 cm (23 ½ x 15 ½ inches), when fully opened if a bound volume, as it will not fit on the scanner bed. This order will be referred to the Picture Library for professional photography.
How many scans/copies can I order?
Digital imaging services must be ordered online. These services are not offered on-demand, including on the day of a visit to the Caird Library and Archive.
- Orders between one and 50 scans per month: provided as a secure electronic file to download.
- Orders of 51 to 100 scans per month: provided as a secure electronic file to download.
Prints and drawings are unavailable via this service, if you wish to order these contact our Picture Library.