Astronomy Photographer of the Year
Astronomy Photographer of the Year is a competition, so by entering you agree to the following competition rules.
a) Adult competition
A one-off non-refundable Entry Fee of £10.00 (the ‘Entry Fee’) is required from each entrant. Entrants who only enter the special prizes will not have to pay an Entry Fee.
The Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition is hosted on the RMG website and all entries must be submitted online via the entry form at apy.rmg.co.uk.
Adult Entrants must be aged 16 or over on the Closing Date of the competition. (There is an exception for The Annie Maunder Prize for Image Innovation. This special prize is open to Adult Entrants, Young Entrants and Group Entrants (together, the ‘Entrants’)
Entries (the ‘Image’ or the ‘Entry’) must be submitted to a category or a prize in accordance with the guidelines of that category or prize. See sections 4 and 5 for more details.
b) Young competition
Young Entrants must be aged 15 or under on the Closing Date of the competition. (There is an exception for The Annie Maunder Prize for Image Innovation. This special prize is open to Entrants of all ages.)
The consent of a parent or guardian is required for all Young Entrants. By entering the Young competition, it is trusted that all Young Entrants have obtained consent from their parent or guardian. Parents or guardians will be contacted to confirm their consent when Young Entrants subscribe to the competition.
The Astronomy Photographer of the Year Young competition is hosted on the RMG website and all entries must be submitted online via the entry form at apy.rmg.co.uk.
Entries may feature any astronomical subject.
7. Unnatural, digitally enhanced, composites are eligible for entry to the competition but the judging panel may ask about your processing method if your photo is shortlisted. Please provide details of digital enhancements and composites in the Image description.
8. Images taken with publicly or privately operated remote telescopes can be entered into the main competition categories. Please provide ownership details in the Image description.
9. We prefer that photos that have been submitted to or picked up by a news agency, picture agency or any media outlet for distribution are not entered into the competition. This also applies to photos that use a substantial amount of data from an Image which has been submitted to a news agency or picture agency. Shortlisted images will be asked not to submit their images to such agencies and outlets. This will enable RMG to use its global reach to support shortlisted and winning images. This rule includes both Images published in print (e.g. magazines) or online (excluding social media usage and Astronomy Photograph of the Day (APOD)).
10. The following Images are not eligible for entry in to the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition:
11. Using data from before 1 January 2022 is permitted, as long as a substantial (greater than 50% of the total exposure time) portion of the Images is created using data captured after this date. If data used in an Images was captured before 1 January 2022, please state roughly what percentage of the total data it constitutes.
12. Images should be submitted as high res TIFF, PNG., or JPEG.
a) Adult competition categories
2. Entry is free for Entrants who only enter images into the two special prizes and not the main competition categories.
If your photo is shortlisted, we will contact you by 4 April 2023 via the email address you provided. You may be asked questions about your image during our data checking period. We reserve the right to remove your image from the shortlist if you do not meet our rules or we are concerned about the veracity of your image.
If you have not been shortlisted, you will be notified during the week commencing 4 April 2023.
The full shortlist of images will not be revealed until the announcement of the winners 14 September 2023.
If you are shortlisted, please help us to build excitement around the awards announcement by treating your inclusion in the shortlist as strictly confidential until the press release about the shortlisted images is issued.
A press release about the shortlisted images will be issued between June and August featuring only a small selection of the full shortlist. We cannot guarantee which images will be selected for use by the press.
Photos shortlisted in the competition must not be submitted to a news agency, picture agency or media outlet until six weeks after the announcement of the winners (i.e. after 26 October 2023) to ensure maximum publicity for the competition. Any Image that has been submitted to any such agency or media outlet must be withdrawn from the agency or outlet. Images that do not do so are at risk of disqualification.
8. All shortlisted Entrants will be invited to the online awards ceremony on 14 September 2023. Shortlisted category Entrants who are notified that they have placed as a winner within their category upon receiving their invitation must keep this information confidential until the night of the awards ceremony.
9. All shortlisted Entrants will receive a complimentary copy of the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 15 publication. No cash alternative is available.
The Royal Observatory Greenwich is dedicated to supporting public understanding and education of science. The images submitted to the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition serve as key resources to promote astronomy photography in practice and in order for us to do this we (RMG) need to be able to use your image(s) in certain ways should it be shortlisted.
Entrants will retain copyright and moral rights in their submitted images and will therefore retain the rights to sell their images or grant licences to other parties. In all instances, the copyright holder will be credited, wherever practicable, when the image is used and published by RMG and its sponsors. We will use your first and last name as supplied during the entry process (e.g. © photographer’s name). Although RMG will always supply the correct information to third parties (for example to press / media), it cannot accept responsibility for any credit line errors or omissions by these parties.
3. By entering, all Entrants grant RMG a non-exclusive, irrevocable worldwide, royalty-free licence to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, and publish or communicate to the public any image, by any means, entered into the competition:
4. Shortlisted Entrants agree to grant RMG first refusal to commercially represent their image as agents using RMG’s Picture Library and Prints website platforms on a non-exclusive basis.
In the instance that Entrants are shortlisted, Entrants grant the sponsor Liberty Specialty Markets a non-exclusive, irrevocable worldwide, royalty-free licence to use and adapt their shortlisted images for non-commercial use, including (but not limited to) to promote and market the competition and their sponsorship.
In the instance that Entrants are shortlisted, Entrants grant the media partner BBC Sky at Night Magazine a non-exclusive, irrevocable worldwide, royalty-free licence to use and adapt their shortlisted images to promote the competition and exhibition online and in print, including in its promotional calendar.
Any commercial usage not covered by Clause (3) or Clause (4) would be agreed with the individual photographer on a case by case basis.
RMG is committed to processing information in accordance with the current Data Protection Act (DPA). Shortlisted images will be stored securely in appropriate file formats on servers belonging to RMG. The competition interface (apy.rmg.co.uk) is managed by Ten4 Design and hosted by Sundive Networks.
Please do not submit your contribution to the competition if you do not wish to grant these rights.
Winners will be announced at the awards ceremony on 14 September 2023 and will be notified by email no later than 30 August 2023.
If your image is selected as one of the winning images, you will be entitled to receive a cash prize (payable in Pounds Sterling). The breakdown of prizes is as follows:
i. Adult competition:
a) Overall Winner £10,000
The three prize winners in each category will be notified that they have placed when they receive their invite to the awards ceremony. This information is strictly confidential until the night of the awards ceremony, when prize winners will find out which prize they have received (Winner, Runner-Up or Highly Commended).
5. The winning images from all categories will be formally acquired as donations to the NMM Permanent Collections. If you do not want your image to become part of the NMM permanent collection, you will have the opportunity to opt out when you are informed that your image is one of the winning images. The digital images will be acquired in perpetuity; and be managed and stored in accordance with national museum standards.
6. A selection of shortlist images from the Adult competition and the Young competition will be made available to the public for an online and in-exhibition vote, known as the People’s Choice Award, following the exhibition opening. These entries will be specially promoted including via social media. The entry with the most votes will win the public vote. The People’s Choice Award does not have a prize.
RMG will appoint a panel of judges to select the winning photos. Their decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the selection of winners.
Should the quality of entries fall below the standard required, the judges reserve the right not to award prizes.
The judges come from a range of disciplines; they will be considering images according to criteria comprising technical skills, artistic merit and originality.
Where there is reasonable doubt about whether a photograph meets the entry criteria of the competition, or has been taken with the equipment and under the circumstances described on the entry form, the organisers reserve the right to disqualify the image. Wherever possible, the Entrant(s) will be given the opportunity to answer queries from the judges before a final decision on disqualification is made.
All entries to the competition must be submitted via the competition website. RMG will not accept images submitted by any other means.
No responsibility can be accepted for entries that are lost, delayed, corrupted, damaged, misdirected or incomplete or which cannot be submitted for any technical, delivery or other reason. Proof of submission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. RMG cannot guarantee continuous, uninterrupted or secure access to the website.
By submitting your photo for entry into the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 15 competition and for publishing on the website, you confirm that the content of the photo is and will not be taken to be obscene, racist, pornographic, indecent, harassing, threatening or offensive.
RMG reserves the right to pre-vet and/or moderate submitted photos on any basis and reserves the right to not display uploaded content to the website or remove, suspend or disable access to photos, at any time, at its sole discretion, without liability or prior notice.
RMG shall not be obliged to display photos and shall not be liable for any Entrant’s loss of publicity or enhancement of reputation.
RMG and its associated agencies and companies will not be liable for any loss (including, without limitation, indirect, special or consequential loss or loss of profits), expense or damage which is suffered or sustained (whether or not arising from any person’s negligence) in connection with this competition or accepting or using the prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law (including personal injury, death and fraud) in which case that liability is limited to the minimum allowable by law.
RMG cannot be held responsible for emails that do not arrive due to an Entrant’s email security settings or restrictions placed by their internet service provider. Entrants must ensure that their settings accept emails from email@example.com.
RMG will not store non-shortlisted digital entries or any email correspondence after January 2024.
RMG reserves the right to cancel or amend the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition and/or exhibition and touring exhibition at any time owing to circumstances outside its reasonable control and where circumstances make this unavoidable, but will always use all reasonable endeavours to minimise the effect on participants to avoid undue disappointment.
If any of these clauses should be determined to be illegal, invalid or otherwise unenforceable then it shall be severed and deleted from these rules and the remaining clauses shall survive and remain in full force and effect.
You can request access to your personal data, or have any inaccuracies rectified, by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. By participating in the competition you agree to the use of your personal data as described here.
Entrants will be asked at the time of registration if they would like their contact details added to the RMG mailing list. You are able to opt-out of this at any time by emailing email@example.com.
The Entry Fee is £10.00. This covers submission of up to ten images to the Adult Competition, including entries to the main categories and special prizes.
Entry is free to the Young competition. Adult Entrants who only enter the two special prizes are also exempt from the Entry Fee.
Please note that we currently only accept payment in Pound Sterling. If we display prices on the Site in foreign currencies as well as Pound Sterling, it is purely for illustrative purposes and the conversion rates are approximate only. If you pay the Entry Fee using a payment card for a foreign currency denominated account, the conversion rate will be that applied by the relevant payment scheme at the time of processing the transaction.
The Entry Fee includes VAT and any other applicable taxes.
Payments must be made by credit or debit card (please see the relevant part of the Site for a list of those payment cards accepted and method of payment). By submitting a credit or debit card number, you: (a) represent and warrant that your use of the particular card is authorised and that all information that you submit is true and accurate; and (b) authorise us to charge to the card you tendered all amounts payable by you to us based on the Products you order.
You may be subject to validation checks and/or third party authorisations depending on your method of payment.
The Entry Fee is non-refundable unless RMG cancels the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition owing to circumstances outside its reasonable control. In this instance you will be notified by email and refunded the Entry Fee.
By entering your photo to the Astronomy Photographer of the Year competition you are deemed to have accepted the above rules and to have granted the rights to RMG set out above. Please do not submit a photo to the competition unless you are prepared to agree to these terms.
Young Competition: By entering the Astronomy Photographer of the Year Young competition your parent or guardian is deemed to have accepted the above rules and granted RMG the above rights in relation to the use of your image(s).
These rules prevail in the event of any conflict or inconsistency with any other communications, including advertising or promotional materials.
If you have any questions about the rules or competition, please contact RMG at firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)208 858 4422
Sponsors and partners