Order items from the National Maritime Museum's Library and Archive collections to study in the Library’s Reading Room using the Aeon request system.
Using the Aeon request system you can:
- order items in advance of your study visit
- keep a record of items you may wish to see in the future
- keep a record of items you have already seen
- keep a record of emails received from the Library, for example telling you when an item is unavailable to view
Book a Visit
Ordering items for a specific date and time has been resumed - this can be done when creating a request through your Aeon account. Currently, we require each researcher to confirm their visit. The Library staff will then book an entry ticket which is in place to fulfill COVID track and trace requirements.
Please see the Register to Visit page.
What materials can I request?
All of the collections held in the Library and Archive collections can be requested using the Aeon system.
This includes modern and rare books, journals, pamphlets, manuscripts, charts and maps and some prints and drawings.
How do I find the items I want to see?
The Library and Archive collections are available to view online:
Some prints, drawings, sea charts and maps are also available to view online via the Museum collections portal.
How do I request items for research?
Aeon allows you to request up to six items in advance. If you have requested the maximum number of items, at least one must be returned to the Library Issue Desk before another request can be made. To make a request:
- Register for a three year Reader’s Ticket using the Aeon Caird Library and Archive Ordering System.
- Search our online collections to find the items you wish to request.
- Click the ‘Place order’ button on the item profile page to add it to your request list (the Aeon login screen will appear the first time you do this).
- The Notes field of the Aeon request form can be used to indicate which issues of journals you require, or a specific date or enclosure from a manuscript item.
- Please send an email to the team if you have an enquiry.
- View and check the items you have requested, and repeat the process as required.
- Select the date and time you wish to access requested items at the Caird Library and Archive. (currently not available)
- When you’ve finished your order, click ‘Submit request’.(currently not available)
Request and delivery times
Delivery times for items in store at the Museum is around 40 minutes. We receive one delivery per week for items stored off site.
Items stored at the Museum
- If you would like an item to be available to study when the Library opens at 10am you must request it by 3.30pm the day before (Note: to study an item at 10am on Tuesday you must request it on Friday)
- Requests for prints, drawings, sea charts and maps must be submitted by 12.30pm the day before (note: prints and drawings are not available for study on Saturday)
- To request books, journals and periodicals for study on the same day (Tuesday to Friday), we recommend you place your order as early as possible. The latest you can submit a request for study on the same day is 3.30pm
- To request books, journals and periodicals for study on the same day (Saturday), we recommend you order it as early as possible on the day. The latest you can submit a request for study on the same day is 2.30pm
Items stored off site
- To request items stored off site requires eight days notice
Note: Some items stored at the Museum and off site can only be viewed by appointment, including some sea charts and maps, prints and drawings.
If you have any questions or queries about requesting an item from the Caird Library & Archive, contact us.
Tel: 020 8312 6516
Item delivery schedule
The delivery schedule for items stored at the Museum and off site is listed below.
- Museum stores Tuesday to Friday - seven deliveries per day
- Museum stores Saturday - three deliveries
- Off site stores - one delivery per week (requires eight days notice)
Can I save items in the Aeon system to request later?
You can save items for future use in the Aeon request system using the ‘Keep For My Review’ option. To access a request that you have placed into the ‘Keep for My Review’ folder:
- Login to the Aeon system
- Click on ‘Review Requests’ in the left hand menu
- You can complete new item request from this screen using the date and time feature.
Can I extend a request?
Items that have been requested and viewed on one day can be held overnight for viewing the next day.
To do this, request the item you want to study for a second day in the Aeon system, and select the following days date in the calendar. When you return the item after the first day of study, inform staff at the Library Issue Desk that you wish to study it again tomorrow.
What if the item I request isn’t available?
Once you've placed your request using the Aeon system, the Library team will check its availability. If there is a problem with accessing the item, the team will contact you by email to inform you of the issue.
If the item you wish to study is not available to order via the online Library and Archive collections and the Aeon system, contact the Aeon support team.
Tel: +44 (0)20 8312 6516